October garden updateThe zinnias are in bloom, and are lovely! Butterflies swarm the marigolds, zinnias and mums daily. Hannah's entomology collection is growing daily.
Stay tuned for my pride and joy near the end ... I still haven't figured out how to move photos around, so it got buried.
First, the failures. It wouldn't be an honest update without the failures.
I have no cucumber photos, because they were a complete loss. Everything from a mess of aphids to some sort of blossom end rot plagued the cukes, and they took the cantaloupe right along with them. Out they went to be burned. Out, out, darned spot!
The patio tomatoes failed miserably. The wind was not kind to them. We have harvested a few meager tomatoes from them, but they are pathetic.
Big plans, small follow-through. Remember the herb/rhubarb garden? Here sits the frame and some of the soil amendments. Maybe it will get planted next spring.
But the tomatoes! From four tomato plants -- one Celebrity and three Roma -- we have harvested dozens and dozens and dozens of tomatoes. I have SO many green ones now. We're crossing our fingers that it doesn't freeze soon ... though that would help get rid of the flies. Tough call. I hate the flies.
These are marigolds that Hannah started from seed and then transplanted into the square-foot garden plot. They took over the garden. They are HUGE. They shadowed the onions, they shadowed the jalapenos, and they shadowed the bush beans so badly I had to give them a mercy killing. But they are proudly orange and beautiful, and attract monarchs, so we're enjoying them nonetheless.
Mums! I love chrysanthemums. Is there a more perfect flower? I have to admire a flower that keeps coming back no matter how badly I treat it.
Dollar General has cute little scarecrows. I couldn't resist a few for the garden.
Hannah's succulents barrel has gone wild. I don't even know what this thing is, but it has babies. The hens and chicks are multiplying as well. I think we'll need another barrel next spring.
Ah, my baby. My pride and joy. This is one of two gorgeous eggplants that are merrily purpling up my garden. At the first sign of frost I'll harvest them, size be darned, but I'm hoping they grow another inch or two first. They look huge in this photo, but are only about 5.5 inches long.
A bounty of peppers and tomatoes ...
Carrots that are ready to harvest. The rabbits really love the tops!
A simple addition of some fertilizer made all of my annual flowers, which I thought were done-for in early August, start growing and blooming vigorously again. My planter boxes are all a riot of color.

The patio tomatoes failed miserably. The wind was not kind to them. We have harvested a few meager tomatoes from them, but they are pathetic.
Big plans, small follow-through. Remember the herb/rhubarb garden? Here sits the frame and some of the soil amendments. Maybe it will get planted next spring.
But the tomatoes! From four tomato plants -- one Celebrity and three Roma -- we have harvested dozens and dozens and dozens of tomatoes. I have SO many green ones now. We're crossing our fingers that it doesn't freeze soon ... though that would help get rid of the flies. Tough call. I hate the flies.
These are marigolds that Hannah started from seed and then transplanted into the square-foot garden plot. They took over the garden. They are HUGE. They shadowed the onions, they shadowed the jalapenos, and they shadowed the bush beans so badly I had to give them a mercy killing. But they are proudly orange and beautiful, and attract monarchs, so we're enjoying them nonetheless.
Mums! I love chrysanthemums. Is there a more perfect flower? I have to admire a flower that keeps coming back no matter how badly I treat it.
Dollar General has cute little scarecrows. I couldn't resist a few for the garden.
Hannah's succulents barrel has gone wild. I don't even know what this thing is, but it has babies. The hens and chicks are multiplying as well. I think we'll need another barrel next spring.
Ah, my baby. My pride and joy. This is one of two gorgeous eggplants that are merrily purpling up my garden. At the first sign of frost I'll harvest them, size be darned, but I'm hoping they grow another inch or two first. They look huge in this photo, but are only about 5.5 inches long.
A bounty of peppers and tomatoes ...
Carrots that are ready to harvest. The rabbits really love the tops!
A simple addition of some fertilizer made all of my annual flowers, which I thought were done-for in early August, start growing and blooming vigorously again. My planter boxes are all a riot of color.
No comments:
Post a Comment