Saturday, September 04, 2004

My 7th and 8th grade Life Science students have been complaining about their insect collection assignment. "We can't FIND any bugs!" "I don't want to TOUCH bugs!" "What if I can only find one bug?"

I told them that the 1st and 2nd graders seem to find plenty of bugs at recess, and maybe they should ask the little kids for help. I mentioned that Hannah brings home a couple of bugs a day to feed our turtle, Neville.

"Wait a minute... are you Hannah's mom?" asked Cody, a 7th grader.

"Yes, I am. Why?" I replied.

"Hannah POKES me," he said. "She just walks up and pokes me all the time."

I laughed, but did ask Hannah about this after school.

"Hannah, have you been poking a 7th grade boy named Cody?" I asked her.

She looked at me with wide, innocent eyes, and said, "But Mom, I don't poke him very hard."

No comments: